Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Back to the grind after a brief sabbatical from the e-world...
But one does wonder, does the "grind" ever really stop? Or are we able to change our perspective on life? Change our attitudes and viewpoints on life?

I am reminded of Ginsberg's poem "Howl," and its first line, "I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness."

I have seen this too, but more in the sense of "destroyed by negative madness." I have also seen the awesome power of focusing on the positive aspects of life. This doesn't mean to ignore all the inhospitable cruelness in the world, much of it makes no sense and there's no explanation for why horrible things happen to good, kind hearted people. What I mean is to enjoy the little moments in life. The laugh of a child, the sunshine on a 70 degree day with the slightest of breezes, the company of friends, the moments with those we love. None of these can last forever, but by focusing on them and recalling them often, their energy and warmth can propel us through the day. It's not their brevity that should matter, it's the feelings they generate inside us. I've worked with incredibly negative people who turn into a walking plague - everyone wants to avoid them. In turn I've also worked with posititve people who embody the "light up a room" remark. Most of us are somewhere in between. While all of us need to vent from time to time, it is the constant complainers who run the risk of becoming black holes - a negative vortex that sucks everything in around it. And that is the reason people try to avoid them - they don't want to get sucked in to the negativity. It's draining.

March Madness: I currently have 9 out of the sweet 16 still left including my Final Four teams. My Final Four = Florida, UCLA, UNC, and Texas A&M. My Champion is UNC over Florida. It doesn't mean I'm a Carolina fan, I just think, despite their number of freshman starters, they're the deepest team and incredibly well coached. They're also peaking at just the right time of year.

FSU baseball: Last time I checked their record was 23-0. Undefeated. Moved up to the number one spot in the rankings. Now if only it'll last through to Omaha.

Homebrew: Just brewed a batch of IPA using a turkey fryer. If any of you are still brewing in your kitchen, stop. Don't do it again. Trust me the clean up is not worth it. Invest in a turkey fryer and multi-task with it. A fried turkey for the family, then a batch of homebrew for you. The best part of all? If the brewpot boils over, it doesn't really matter. Just hose it off the driveway since you're outside anyway. Cheers!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home