Saturday, December 31, 2005

College Football is King part 2

Again let me repeat like the golden sun-tanned cheerleaders of UCLA, "Football Uber Alis."

Did you see today's games??? Yes, LSU v. Miami was a slaughter, but what about the other three games - each one a true come-from-behind Classic. ESPN Classic could just replay those three games tomorrow and rack up the ratings points. Yes siree, keep watching the games 'til the end otherwise you may in fact be shocked by the final score. The Virginia, UCLA, and Missouri games were all incredible and I'm sorry I didn't get to see all of the latter. Each one of the three teams were down by a significant amount with UCLA being down 22 points to Northwestern in the 1st quarter. Before I knew it, the Bruins not only made a game of it but actually took the lead. Thanks to two touchdown returns from on-side kicks, they racked up 50 points in the win. How about Virginia intercepting the ball with less than a minute to play to seal the victory? Or Missouri being down three touchdowns to Spurrier and South Carolina only to come back and win it in the fourth quarter?

The toughest thing to predict in the bowl games so far? What team wants it more. Case in point the Oklahoma v. Oregon game. I had picked Oregon to win, but after seeing the body language of the Oklahoma team just from tackling Oregon's kick returner I immediately thought "Uh-oh, can I change my pick?" Wish I would have been able to - the Sooners stuck it to the Ducks.

Speaking of Oregon, your uniforms are absolutely awful. They don't give trophies for the worst uniforms, but if they did you would definitely win the title. They announced during the game your wore nine different uniform combinations this year and will up it to twelve next year. As Dr. Phil would say, "What are you thinkin'?!" You're playing football, not putting on a fashion show.

I know several teams are upset to see Florida State playing in a BCS bowl game, but all I can say is this, they won their conference. If you are upset at your bowl selection, settle it on the field - win your conference, period. Since there are not any playoffs, every game of the season is potentially a dealbreaker. When the smoke clears make damn sure you're holding the conference title, otherwise yes, you will be playing in a lesser bowl.

Here's a great story from Bobby Bowden about the last time he faced JoePa (the 1990 Blockbuster Bowl), it's from a Warchant.com interview:
"I remember our horse running out on the field and Joe got mad about that. I know we had to get special permission to do it and we did. I don't know if Joe knew we got it or not, but he was mad. I thought he was going to go tackle the dadgum horse. I was about to tell him 'go high don't go low' on the horse. That was about the maddest I've ever seen Joe. I didn't anything to him though. I was afraid he'd slap me."
Now that is classic Bobby.
Two legends, one game, this ought to be fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home