Sunday, June 25, 2006

Days, Cups, & Memories

Days, Cups, & Memories

It all started last Sunday – Father’s Day. Went to Crazy Glaze and painted two coffee mugs with the kids and the sweetest wife in the world. Also given a couple new shirts and a new pair of Birks. These are really the best gifts of all – the ones you need and will use everyday. Couple tearjerker gifts from the kids’ daycare too.

Monday – Game 7 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Went with my Dad to the game. Yes, I was there, in a box two boxes over from Kid Rock and the owner of the Hurricanes. Hurricanes won. How incredible! Best part of all, and the true beauty of sports, I was there with my Dad and high-fiving people I had never met and probably will never see again my whole life. But for that one game, we collectively rejoiced, cheered, and celebrated together.
That’s what I’ll remember the most. The camaraderie and shared excitement with the people around me. Unforgettable experience. If you don’t like hockey, go to a Stanley Cup game in person. When the scoreboard said “No one sits tonight,” we all followed through.

Wednesday – Game 6 of the NBA Finals. No, I wasn’t there but I did witness the emergence of a true superstar in Dwayne Wade. His ability to take over the game in the fourth quarter was truly reminiscent of, and I hate to make this over-used comparison, Mr. Jordan. At times I thought Wade wore number 23. I loved seeing Shaq, Wade, etc. celebrate together.
As for Mark Cuban’s comments after game 5? The game was in Miami, and Miami got some calls. All they did was take care of business at home. Period. The Mavs had chances to win in Miami and blew it. Absolutely blew it. Go back and watch the 4th quarter of game 3. And as for game 6 in Dallas? You lost on your home court. Inexcusable. Look at Dirk’s numbers for game 6. He faded away while his counterpart, Dwayne Wade took charge. And thus the Mavericks lost and the Heat hoisted the trophy.

Ever see the movie The Replacements with Keanu Reeves and Gene Hackman? There’s a great exchange between the two:
Shane Falco (Reeves): I want the ball.
Jimmy McGinty (Hackman): Winners always do.
Someone should send a copy of it to Dirk Nowitzki.

What I’ll remember most? Wade’s dominance, Riley’s “Fifteen Strong” motto – a throwback to Spartan mentality, and Mourning’s speech of inspiration at the post game conference. Of these three, Mourning’s will resonate the most.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home